Monday, January 2, 2017

Another week gone by...

Dear Family,

     We hope this Christmas Season finds all of you doing well.  We hope that we will always have the right to celebrate Christmas as a sacred and holy reminder of the Savior Jesus Christ, his teachings and his example as well as the glorious day when He will come again.  We look forward to that time when peace will once again reign upon the earth.  That is certainly something worth fighting for.

      Junior and Adriana Mazzagardi have been called as mission presidents and will begin serving the first of July.  He sent me a message just as soon as President Eyring told him that it was all right to let people know.  He received the call from Elder Anderson.  They will do such a great work.  They have had many trials in their lives and they are prepared to help others with different challenges and troubles.  They lost twin girls and at the same time Adriana was fighting throat and tongue cancer, something only old men who chew and smoke get.  The stories of her recovery and healing are too long to relate, but I can tell you this, she is a living miracle as nobody survives what she went through.  She is missing part of her tongue but she speaks just fine.  In 2011 when I went to see her treatment center that she runs using horses as the medicine for kids with a variety of challenges, she said, "Look Ferron, my tongue is growing back and tongues aren't supposed to do that."  Yes she is a living miracle and now we know why.  They will be tremendous.  Adriana's mother was kidnapped in the city of Jundiai a few weeks ago.  The people drugged her and then coaxed her into giving them R%5000.00 (about 1500 dollars).  They then left her on her doorstep thank goodness.  She was moved a short time after to live in the USA (Utah).  She has six children living there, so she will be in good hands.

     We have had good experiences working here in the temple.  Our session leader, brother Luz is just a young man.  I have all the respect in the world for him he is such a kind and Christlike fellow.  He was a little concerned about putting me on a session and I assured him that I was just fine and not to worry.  The session went really well.  At the end, I was changing back and forth from Portuguese to English and back and it wasn`t easy, but I didn`t make any mistakes.  Lots of American missionaries from the MTC in that session.  

     We went to a movie at the Shopping Center 3 on avenida Paulista.  For the first time in a while a few more couples went.  We saw the movie "The Arrival" and it was pretty good.  There is a Mrs. Cheneys Cookies in the mall and we usually get a cookie but they loose a little from what we traditionally enjoy.  But not too bad.   We had a strange thing happen on the bus on the way home.  Only sister Cox, Paula and I were on it.  A really strange fellow got on and he was wild-eyed and just roaming all over and doing strange things.  Everybody had their eye on him.  He didn't pay but nobody said a word as I think they were in no way going to say anything to him.  He parked himself right in front of Paula and I less than arms length, but he never looked at us or said anythiing.  I was all geared up to do a body slam and that is the truth.  In no way was he going to touch Paula or sister Cox.  He finally got off at avenida Brasil and ran out in front of traffic and then to a garbage bin where he began to scream and throw garbage everywhere.  Everyone was relieved that he got off.  It was a little scary.  There was a lady with a cane, poorly dressed and a sad look about her sitting by sister Cox.  She had a bandage around her arm and had obviously just been to the dr.  Sister Cox said a few words to her and the lady smiled back.  The rest of the way, she had such a sweet look about her kind of like she was really happy that someone (sister Cox) had spoken to her.  As we got up to get off, I reached into my pocket and took out all I had which was only about $R 40.00 (12.00 dollars about) and I wish I would have had more.  I just tapped her on the shoulder, took her hand and she could tell there was some money there.  She gave me the happiest look.  She had never asked for anything, but I felt it was the right thing at that moment.  I said to her, "Se eu tivesse mais, eu daria," which means "If I had more, I would give it to you."  It was just a good feeling and I know it didn't solve her situation, but for one night, she knew somebody cared.  We have had those experiences often.  It reminds me of what king Benjamin teaches us about the poor.

     We sure love Elder and Sister Harris.  They are the most positive, fun and outgoing people.  We love to do things with them.  Elder Harris and I went to LeRoy Merlin's (like Home Depot) to buy some plantar supports for sister Manetta.  I thought he might want to get out of the office and he did.  We had a nice visit.  Vitor Souza said he would go put the supports on the planter as he has some tools and I don't.  

      Our Christmas devotional was wonderful.  A man and woman did two musical numbers (Christmas music) on the harp and flute.  It was beautiful.  Elder Costa spoke to us and one thing that really stuck out to me was how many times he said the words, "Follow the words of the prophets and apostles."  We had lots of good things to eat after.  I imagine there were 200 people there, all who work in the Church offices here.  Brother and Sister Schioser were Santa and Mrs. Claus.  I reminded them that since they live in our building, that they needed to leave a few extra presents.  They had decorated everything really Christmasy and it was nice with Christmas music playing the whole time.

    I had an MRI on my foot which continues to swell up and be difficult to walk on.  I took the results to an orthopedic surgeon.  He said that since I have such a huge bunion on my right foot that it has mis-aligned the bones in my foot.  There is also a tear in the plantar plate tendon.  He knew right where I would hurt after seeing the MRI and he knew what would hurt.  He recommended that I try some orthotics made to fit my foot problems.  So I went to a place called Pes Sem Dor (Feet without pain).  They have state of the art equipment to measure every possible problem in your feet.  I was really impressed with the fellow who worked with me.  He showed me the pressure points on my feet where he had taken readings and how they compared to normal.  They were clear off the charts for being abnormal.  But, I think and he thinks that the orthotics will make a huge difference.  I said to him, "You like doing this kind of work don't you."  He replied, "I do as I get a lot of joy out of seeing people get rid of their pain."  I should get them next week.  They are made to fit in Sao Bernardo do Campo by a computerized machine that does the tooling of the orthotic.  Julio Sales Souza took me there and so I took him out to dinner afterword.  We spoke Portuguese on the way over and English on the way back.  He likes to practice.

      We had one of our most cherished weekends last Saturday and Sunday when we drove out to the city of Rio Claro, about three hours away.  We stayed at the home of Valter and Marta Luna.  I taught and baptized Valter in 1972.  The way he has lived his life has brought me a lot of happiness.  He has been a bishop in three different wards and is a counselor for the second time in a stake presidency.  He has worked for CorningWare of Brazil since age 21.  He just worked himself up in the company and has done will.  He once told me he has even been to a BYU football game (Well that makes him official doesn't it?).  When he was in college he attended a class in which a student began degrading the Church.  Valter stood up and said, "I am a Mormon so be careful what you say as I know what is the truth and what isn't"  The fellow sat down and Valter had the respect of his classmates from then on.  We went around seeing a few places I had known on my mission.  Saw the old building we rented for a chapel.  Now there is a large new chapel on the other side of that building.  The old train station which no longer functions was a great memory.  I left there many times to go into Campinas or SP.  Once we got up late and the train was leaving at 6:00 a.m.  We couldn't get there on our bikes as there was nowhere to leave them, so we ran and I kept saying, "Hurry up elder."  We bought our tickets as the train pulled out and we jumped onto a moving train without getting hurt (don't try that ever).  Another time the train was so full we had only the area between where the cars hooked together to sit on.  There was a little floor, just enough for 4 missionaries to lay on and we were so tired we went to sleep (The train jolting us awake every 3-4 minutes).   The best was to stop by sister Neide dos Santos, now 86 years old.  She is the sweetest lady and has always been.  She used to make the most wonderful cakes and always had some for the elders.  Once when I had a terrible high fever, I stayed at her home during the day and she took care of me.  She was so kind and treated me like a son.  You couldn't do that now in the world we live in, but you could then and I so appreciated her kindness to me.  It was great to give her a giant hug and tell her how much I love her.  She uses a walker, but is in good health.  So great to see her.

      That night after we ate three kinds of pizza, we just sat around and had a good visit.  Paula asked Marta, "So what made you decide to stay active in the Church and not fall away like so many?"  Marta said it was because she had a testimony and because of Valter.  Paula then turned and asked Valter the same question.  With tears in his eyes (and mine too), he said, "I can explain that easily.  A young missionary named Ferron Sonderegger came to my home and taught me the gospel and I have known it was true ever since."  It was a very special and unexpected moment.  Valter is such a good man.  He was just 11 years at the time.  We were having no success and I told my companion, "Well, let's go do a little tracting."  That never works, but within a couple of homes it did.  Sister Rita Luna invited us in and we taught them the first discussion and they accepted it.  Later, Valter's father Valter took the discussions.  He did not join the Church until many years later.  Valter Sr. and Rita passed away this past year within 9 months of each other.  Rita had Alzheimers the last year.  They were great people.  Their passing has been hard on Valter and Marta and their family.  They have three children, Danilo works for some big company in Switzerland and he lives there with his family.  Liliana lives in Curitiba with her family.  Leandro lives in Rio Claro where he is a personal trainer with 500+ clients.  They have the cutest little boy, Thomas who we got to know.  I remember in 1996 when I rode to Rio Claro with Valter from Campinas and I had Liliana on my lap.  She was just little.  I was teary-eyed the whole way just thinking about the family and how special it was to have Valter's little girl sitting there with me.  We skyped with all three of them on Sunday and Liliana told me she remembered that time.  Liliana had a very special sacred experience with her grandparents after they passed away. They are all married in the temple.  

     On Sunday, we went to the stake center for the Brazil Multi-Stake Conference (all of Brazil was tuned in).  Valter gave a short talk and then the meeting began.  Sister Cardon (the daughter of Elder Harold Hillam) spoke and she did it all in Portuguese and very good Portuguese.  Elder Costa, an area authority Seventy from Argentina spoke also and his Portuguese was really good with a little Spanish thrown in.  I think he was a hit with the members as he said many sweet things about the Brazilian members.  Elder Costa, The Brazil Area President then spoke from our chapel across the street here in SP.  He is such a wonderful man.  Then it was Elder Holland's turn.  He had been in Brazil a few months ago and admittedly said he didn't speak Portuguese except a word or two.  Well, he gave the first part of his talk in Portuguese and it wasn't easy for him but he did it without any notes.  He bore a powerful testimony of the Savior and gave the last part of his testimony, mostly in Portunol, a language which Shelley, Brandi and McKenzie would understand.  It was a great conference.  A number of people came up to me afterward and said, "Thank you elder for baptizing Brother Valter.  He is such a great man in our stake."  I talked to a few people I knew clear back in 1972, but most have passed on or moved away.  We had dinner and then headed home.  It was hard to say goodbye.  I hope Valter and Marta will come visit us and we can take them to Yellowstone.  Going to see them was such a highlight, such a special occasion, such a blessing and miracle.  We made it home safely in spite of a number of drivers who were practicing for a Formula I. race.  

      Merry Christmas to all of you.  Our release date is April 28th.  Time is going pretty fast and we still have a lot to do here.  We along with you love Our Savior Jesus Christ and more than ever, at this time of the year, our hearts and minds are turned to Him.  May we all try to be more like him in the coming year.

Much Love e Feliz Natal,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment