Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Rio Grande do Sul trip - from Mom

Hi all,

I know that Dad wrote two long emails about our trip.  I will just add a few comments and some pictures.  First of all, many of the really neat experiences that he talked about with the members we visited mostly went over my head because of the language.  It's a good thing that he wrote about them so that I would know!  He told me some of the things but sometimes he forgets to translate as he gets caught up in the moment.  I'm glad that he has had some of these experiences.  I could tell that the members were very special people and I could understand quite a bit.  I just don't get everything.  It is kind of like if you only heard every 8th word of a conversation, you kind of know what is going on but you miss all of the connecting details.

It was very cold down there to say the least!  I got sick again maybe because I was so cold for three days.  By the time we got to Gramado I got warm as we had a heater in our room.  My feet were so cold on Sat. that I didn't know if I would ever get warm.  When I saw people wearing winter boots I was wishing that I had a pair down here!  I was warmer when we stayed in Cruz Alta with the Stake Presidents parents.  They had a big iron stove in their kitchen that they had turned on and that was very nice!

I could understand quite a bit of what they were saying.  When I couldn't quite make out the words I would just smile if they smiled, laugh when they laughed, etc.!  It is really hard for me down here because of the language barrier.  I thought that I would be fluent by now because I have been studying for a year and a half but I have a hard time to find native people to speak to.  I know that sounds strange, but where we work we don't have a ton of interaction with other Brazilians and then when I do try to speak with someone (and I do try to talk to someone most days) they want to practice their English!  Oh well.

Back to our trip.  We did two training meetings and we spoke in two sacrament meetings.  I have to read my talks but I hope that they get my message.  I have really grown to appreciate my ancestors while we have been down here.  I have shared their experiences many times while we've been here.  The people are really in awe when they learn that my ancestors joined the church in 1832.  President Arides brother was very intrigued and while we were having dinner he asked me tons of questions about my heritage.  It was neat.

Gramado was fun but I got sick on our first day there.  I got a bad sore throat and headache, etc.  We still had a good time.  It is an interesting place.  Sometimes I almost felt like we were in Jackson.  I was glad that we were able to attend the Porto Alegre Temple.  It is small but very beautiful.  One thing I wanted to do while we were down there is to find the Southern Cross constellation.  I went outside in the parking lot at the temple grounds just before we went to bed and was looking when I heard some noise.  I looked over by the garbage dumpster and there was a couple making out!  LOL!!

I hope you are all doing well.  We miss all of you very much and think about you often.  We would be very happy if we even heard from you!  :)  Thanks to those of you who have written to us and sent pictures.  We appreciate it a lot.

Love to all,
Mom/Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment