Sunday, December 20, 2015

December 20, 2015 (from Dad)

Dear Family,

Last Wed. we went to the James E Faust Recreational Area between SP and Sorocaba.  It is a large and gorgeous area owned by the Church.  It was so beautiful that I wondered if Adam and Eve were around somewhere.  Our bus got stuck in the mud about a quarter of a mile from the site and they had to get a tractor to pull it out.  So all the missionaries in our group walked the rest of the way.  We went there with the Thompsons and missionaries from the Sao Paulo West Mission.  We waited around under a big gondola which had a kitchen.  While we were waiting, Sister Gaspar's mother was talking to me.  She and her husband are the missionaries that take care of the property along with one other couple.  I had met her before but not her husband and hadn't really remembered her name.  Her missionary tag said 'Sister Saraiva'.  It kind of took me by surprise and I asked her, "Do you by chance know a man by the name of Expedito Saraiva?"  She laughed as did the other sister and I said, "What, is he your brother?"They laughed even louder.  Sister Saraiva finally said, "He is my husband."  Expedito was the branch president in my last area, Sao Jose dos Campos.  He was a sargent in the Brazilian Air Force and I remember when we went out to the base for dinner and stayed overnight.  I loved Pres Saraiva.  He added the name 'Zion' to his and people would say, "That isn't your last name, what does that mean - Zion?"  He baptized over 400 people.and the local ministers used to tell everyone, "Watch out for Mr. Zion."  His first wife passed away about seven years ago, so even though I saw the name tag 'Saraiva', didn't mean too much because I didn't know she had died.  The new sister Saraiva has been married to President Saraiva for two years.  He was never going to marry again.  Sister Gaspar had told her mother about Pres. Saraiva and what a good man he was but she wasn't interested.  Then Carlos Gaspar began talking about a man he had met who was such a good man but didn't mention his name.  Then one day, they realized they were talking about the same man.  Anyway, they dated for quite a while and then got married.  All five of Sister Saraiva's children were sealed to them in the Sao Paulo Temple.  Sister Gaspar told Pres. Saraiva that an Elder Sonderegger was here with them and he said, "I knew an Elder Sonderegger, is he kind of a big guy?"  "Yes"  "It couldn't possible be the same one!"  He left his house and came down to the gazebo and he saw me and we both went running and I think I about picked him up off the ground as he hugged me.  It was such a neat experience.  We visited quite a few times during the day and at one point, he was showing me some pictures and he pulled out a Salt Lake Temple Articles of Faith card and handed it to me and said, "Do you know this fellow?"  On the card it said, "Ferron E. Sonderegger".  He had kept that card I had given him for 42 years.  He wants us to come back out and stay with them on a weekend.  I am sure we will.  He is 78 years old and he runs around that property like a much younger man.  Mom and I both said how much he reminded us of Grandpa Benson. 

We had lots of good food and Paula and I went walking through the forest.  We saw several wild pineapple plants and tons of gorgeous flowers everywhere.  We took a lot of pictures.  It rained all day and was cold, but we still had fun.  We got back to the apartments about 9:30 pm.

Friday we met with Fernando Souza in his office for a conference call to SLC to talk about the food program.  We got some ideas and Fernando would like us to get a project going in Praia Grande where a member has a piece of land he would let the stake use for gardening.  Praia Grande is by the port city of Santos and Sao Vicente.  It isn't by the beach, it is the beach.  Just a little place, only about 230,000 people.  Praia Grande has a direct route to Sao Paulo so you don't have to go through Santos.  He also wants us to start a food project in the city of Jundiai between SP and Campinas.  Jundiai is where I taught classes for a week back in 2011.  They have a lot of apple plantations there and have developed the technology and nohow of how to grow apples in a tropical climate, like Gala apples which we see in the store all the time.  So we feel like we have a lot to do all of a sudden.

Yesterday morning I went with Elder Thompson (he is 72) to the feira about three miles from here.  A feira is an outdoor market.  I really enjoyed walking around looking at the fruit and vegetables, cheaper and fresher than what you get in the store.  I ran into some members from the ward too.  I bought quite a few things and a poinsettia plant for Mom.  That is a tradition for Christmas and I was glad I found one.  They had lots of pastel booths.  So I ordered some with with cheese and a pizza variety and took them back to our apt.  They were really good.  I had a nice visit with the lady who sold them and told her I had waited a long time to have one again.  I also went to a booth that selling ice cold coconut water and sugar cane juice.  It was really good and refreshing.  Mom is cooking a roast beef dinner today and some of what I bought.  I had fun shopping there and we will go again.  Mom didn't go as she had a bad headache.  Watched the BYU-Utah game in our apt.  Blast, the Y came up short, but an interesting game and the strangest I have ever seen.  I think Kilani Sitake will be a great coach for BYU.

Had good meetings in church today.  I made a few comments and enjoyed the meetings very much.  Well, sure love you all.  MERRY CHRISTMAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment