Monday, November 23, 2015

November 22, 2015 (from Mom)

Hi all,
This has been a good week.  It's amazing how one week can make a difference in how you are adjusting to things.  I really think that we have done really well.  We are getting to know the other Sr. missionaries and some of the other members who we work with.  It was a good feeling to be able to know how long it takes to get to church and exactly where we needed to go when we got there.  It will be good tomorrow to know where to go and that we have our work stations all set up.

Right now we have been doing (mostly me) lots of computer inputting all about fast offerings.  I hope that we will be able to do other things working with people but I think that we will.  We met with a couple of people during the week who told us about some welfare initiatives that they would like us to be working on.  They are:  "Clean water," and the "Benson Food Initiative."  We told them that that was very fitting since I am a Benson!  It sounds like we will be doing some traveling around the country at times.  It may not be till next year but we might do some traveling soon.  We have a meeting at 8:00 on Mondays so maybe we will learn more about it tomorrow.

I'm just glad that I've had things to do to keep busy.  One of the other senior sisters told me that they got here last year at about the same time and she didn't have anything to do for 2 1/2 months!  I've been busy every day and I come home tired.  It is really something that sitting at the computer can wear you out like that.

Brazil is an interesting country.  I don't think that there are any zoning laws.  If someone wants to open up a store in the neighborhood, they just do.  There are homes, apartments, schools, dr. offices, restaurants, meat markets, bakeries, dance studios, hospitals, etc., etc. all thrown together.  I guess that is nice for those of us who don't have a car as we can walk a short distance and get anything we need.  Also there are no j-walking laws here either.  It is kind of funny to see so many people, young and old, j-walking.  I'm really glad that I had the experience to be here 19 years ago as I know it has helped me get used to things quickly.  The sights and smells are just totally different than they are in Rexburg, or pretty much anywhere in the U.S. The people are very friendly and helpful.

I am trying to be more brave speaking Portuguese.  Ferron didn't come in until the afternoon on Thursday as his back had been so bad in the night, so I had to talk to Bro. Gaspar, who doesn't speak any English, to find out what I was supposed to do to help him.  I was able to speak to him and we understood each other.  Hopefully I'll get better each day.  It is when I get put in a situation where I haven't had time to rehearse something in my head where I mess up badly.  Actually, I think I mess up badly when I do have time to rehearse it in my head as well!  ☺

I can't believe that it is Thanksgiving this week.  It sure doesn't feel like Thanksgiving down here.  The sr. missionaries are getting together for dinner that day, but I don't know what time.  We are going to another couple's house who are here working for the church as the legal counsel.  We will have to go by taxi I think. It should be fun and it will be nice to not have to be alone on that day.

We love you all very much.  Hope everyone is doing well and we wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

Love,
Mom/Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment